Students needing to leave the University for one academic quarter or longer but plan to return may wish to apply for a leave of absence. Withdrawal without a leave of absence requires an application for admission in order to return. Leaves of absence may be approved for students in good academic standing who owe no currently-due debts to the University. For a more detailed description of eligibility and procedures, consult the Graduate Division's Leave of Absence Request webpage.

Students who need to discontinue their studies for any reason before the end of a quarter are strongly advised to submit a withdrawal form. Failure to do so can result in grades of F being assigned to the student’s current courses and can make future re-entry to graduate study difficult.